Monday, July 5, 2010

So... what's for dinner?

This question plagues me constantly! I'm always curious to know what other people make for dinner on a nightly basis, so I thought I'd share some of my attempts to put food on the table. My passion for cooking is, unfortunately, not as strong as my passion for consumption, so we find ourselves dining out far too often. I am trying to remedy this. For health reasons, I am cutting out sugar where I can, so a lot of my choices have to do with reducing my overall starch intake.

I went to Publix today and restocked the old icebox and cupboards.


My upcoming menu includes the following.

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee, milk, All-Bran with blueberries (that's for me, ugh!), egg bagels with cream cheese

Lunch: leftovers, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, hot dogs (with or without chili), PB&J

Dinner: Stuffed Shells Florentine, "Omie's Chili" with cheddar and sour cream, Manwich (one of my quickie faves), Bleu Cheese Burgers, Route 66 Meatloaf

Sides: french cut green beans, steamed broccoli, salad

Dessert: Blueberry Vanilla Cups (low-starch), Breyer's low-carb ice cream bars, Turtle Brownies (uh, not exactly low-starch)

Snacks: sliced cheese, pickles, boiled eggs, string cheese, V-8, Fiber One chocolate/peanut butter granola bars, blackberries and cream (Charles' fave), and celery with spinach-artichoke dip

Drinks: diet soda, Crystal Light Pink Lemonade, organic 2% milk, water, tea, white wine

I'm waiting for Stuffed Shells Florentine to bake while I write this. It takes very little time to prepare, and even less talent, so it's a fun Italian recipe to try. I sometimes double the recipe (found on the back of the Ronzoni Jumbo Shells box, substitute Ragu Parmesan-Romano sauce because why make your own?) since the leftovers get better as they sit in the fridge overnight.

1. Buy ingredients 2. Cook the shells 3. Mix the stuffing
4. Stuff shells and layer with sauce 5. Top with cheese, cover, bake

After about 20 minutes of prep time and 45 minutes of baking, THIS is what's for dinner tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so interesting that you wrote that Blackberries and cream were one of Charles' favorites. My favorite Grandma,who Alzheimer's disease, used to fix me blackberries or a any berries from her garden with cream. I was thinking of that earlier when I was making strawberry shortcake for everyone here. Then I saw that you typed that and made me smile...such happy memory!

Erin said...

I love the simple things that bring a happy memory! I wish I knew who left this comment... I'm guessing Bev? LOL