Saturday, July 31, 2010

Adding to my 'treasure chest of living'...

"The home should be the treasure chest of living." - Le Corbusier

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been making more of an effort lately to get out and scour local thrift stores and yard sales for treasures to rekindle my love for gently used, artfully created vintage decor.

I just happened to visit my grandmother (Omie) this week and as anyone in my immediate family knows, you can't visit Omie without taking home a "souvenir" or two. Because she has collected and sold antiques for many years, she always seems to have a surplus of inventory littering her dining room table (collectible dishes, vases, folk art, etc). "It would make me happy if you took something you liked", she always says. It makes me happy to make her happy, and some of the pieces were so darn cute, I was delighted to oblige.


From left to right, I selected: platters and serving dishes, a hand painted German vase, two (of ten) sparkly amber-colored ice cream dishes, a milk-glass candy dish, and some snazzy vintage purses.

In addition to my freebies from Omie, Mary and I hit up almost every thrift store from my house to Apopka (where Mary lives) on Saturday to see if we couldn't find some treasure-hunting hot spots. While we didn't have a ton of luck with what we were looking for (furniture and decor), I did manage to find a cute set of plastic wall hangings to repaint (for $1.50 each), as well as two super cute $3 vintage dresses.



I also caught a glimpse of a blast from the past at one Goodwill store-- a bedsheet in the same pattern that my parents had when they were married (for those of you who have run out of fingers and toes, that was 20+ years ago). In their green-walled bedroom, they had a peach'n'green lacy comforter with matching curtains, and a coordinating peach, ornate, WICKER headboard to boot. I'm sure it was the epitome of loveliness back in the day, but as I had to endure the sight of these sheets and the rest of the ensemble for MANY years after they were fashionable, I am less than fond of this particular pattern.


In case you're wondering, I didn't buy the sheets for old time's sake... I don't have to. My dad still has them.

Sigh.

1 comments:

About Me said...

I'm glad styles have changed and bedroom use more calming colors now.